Friday, August 17, 2012

August Socks




These were not as successful as I had hoped. 
I started with the needle size recommended in the pattern and loved the feel of the fabric and the pattern.  I was knitting to gauge but then realized that the pattern was too small for my feet.  My dilemma was whether to add another pattern block (16 stitches) or just increase the needle size.  In the end I increased the needle from 2.5 to 2.75 and added 2 K stitches between the pattern panels.  This had the effect of lessening the bias but also creating a looser fabric than I like.  I was worried about having enough yarn.  As it turns out I had lots left so the extra pattern might have been a better option.  I could still do that but I don't think the yarn will stand being ripped out again.

 I chose to use a K2P2 cuff as picot hems don't stay up on my legs and I can't stand droopy socks.  The pattern called for a short row heel which is not my favourite but I decided to follow the pattern.  Again, I wish I had followed my instincts and gone for the heel flap.  The holes along the turns are way too big for my liking.  The result of using larger needles.  When it came to the toes, I didn't do the short row toes in the pattern.  I just used regular decreases finished with Kitchener stitch.  At last the right decision!!

Pattern: Nutkin from Knitzi.com
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici
Colour: Botany

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I agree that the Felici yarn probably wouldn't withstand being ripped out that much; it's just not twisted tight enough, IMHO. The nice thing about Knit Picks yarn is that it's so inexpensive, do-overs are affordable :) These look nice, even if they aren't what you wanted, someone will love them.

Christine said...

I agree with you about the yarn. It felt so nice knitted on the smaller needles. I'll just have to buy some more and try again!!